Friday, January 6, 2012

13 weeks

Bye-bye first tri! While I've seen some variation on when the second trimester "officially" begins (some say at 12 weeks, others at 13 or 14 weeks), I've decided to just split the difference and call it at 13 weeks. Technically, at this point, I've completed 13 weeks, and am starting on my 14th week. So, close enough.

Now you should be about the size of a peach. Which also sounds really delicious right now. Too bad they're not in season!

peaches
My belly is definitely starting to stick out more, and I feel like I have a noticeable bump. Maybe some of it is "food baby". But whatever it is, it just stays popped out now (whereas before, it would sometimes flatten down some). I'm getting singled out on the BART train sometimes now too, and offered a seat.

Today we have our nuchal translucency scan, which is an ultrasound designed to help assess your risk for having certain chromosomal and other defects, such as Down Syndrome, Trisomy 18, Spina Bifida, etc. It only tells you a risk statistic (like 1 in 10,000 or 1 in 200), and even if you're "high risk" it doesn't mean you have any problems. If any of our risk levels are high, we'll need to look at further diagnostic testing to find out for sure. I feel pretty calm about it. I know that if there is something wrong, there's nothing I can do to change it at this point. And I feel it would be better to know, so we can prepare to take the best care of you possible. I am feeling kind of sad though that your daddy may not be able to make it today. Work is really busy for him right now, and the appointment is in the middle of his work day. He's going to try though. I know we'll get to see you again, so I do really hope he gets to be there for that. Finger's crossed.

So, after feeling better for a couple of days, the fatigue bus drove back into town and ran me over again. The last few days I've been feeling exhausted again. I've also been sniffling, and am wondering if I might have a slight cold. Daddy was sick with a cold a week or so ago (although he seemed to have it worse than I do), so perhaps I caught that. It's not too bad though, mostly just a slightly stuffed nose, on one side. Maybe that's contributing to how tired I feel too. Also, that one, glorious night where I didn't wake up to pee? Total fluke. Starting the next night, it was business as usual!

We told some more people this last week, including JT and Aaron, and the Muhleman's (our other neighbors). I also told Aunty Jess, who was super excited and said she can't wait to buy you something with monkeys on it! I told my work this week too, and despite my worrying over the last couple of months that it was "obvious" neither my boss nor the 3 admins seemed to have any clue!

I also ordered your crib today! Daddy and I decided back in November or December on a wrought iron crib we found online, that we both really loved. I spent a while researching it first, to be sure it was the right decision for us. After deciding it was, I found a good deal on it in the past few days and decided to strike while the iron was hot. We love how it has a vintage look, and can also be converted to three different styles. We'll probably use this for your future brother or sister as well, so it's nice that we'll be able to change it up for them. From my research, it looks like it should hold up really well to multiple uses too. I've seen many people say it still looks brand new for the next kid.




No comments:

Post a Comment